Login |  Register |  FAQ

Over volting fans and running PWM fans without PWM

Post subject: Over volting fans and running PWM fans without PWM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Well i came across two PWM versions of deltas most powerful 120mm fans (PFB1212UHE 252cfm) this holiday and so i thought i put them to good use in my PC unrelated project.

My first issue was they were PWM and so i though i couldn't use them by just applying voltage across the red and black wire like a normal fan, but after reading the manual it turns out you can just apply - & + and they will spin at 100%. It was interesting that these flans spun up slowly ( by design ) and it was also interesting that they didn't use the rated amps at 12 volts. I rested some other fans and i found this to be true for them too.

To be honest i wasn't that impressed with them, yeah they moved a lot of air and could hover and weren't that loud but i really wanted more even with 2 of them in a push pull con-fig.

To my surprise i discovered that i could simply apply more voltage to them and they would spin faster without blowing up . I first tried 14.4 volts and then 18volts. Well i can tell you they are way more awesome at 18 volts than 12. At 18 volts the two were drawing a combined total of 140watts. i'd love to know how much voltage i could apply to them before they blew up. I tried some other fans and discovered i could over volt them too.

Attachments:
PFB1212UHE_01[1].jpg
PFB1212UHE_01[1].jpg [ 59.21 KiB | Viewed 12485 times ]