Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

New water block run request

Post subject: Re: New water block run request
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:20 pm 

Yeah it was a good comparison that foxrena did.

I think ultra will have templated that into cad by now. It does appear that the thermonamic couples are bigger, perhaps how they claim higher numbers and could be the difference between their TEC1 and TEHC1 versions, they must have used a better electrical insulator between the couples to avoid issues with the couples being closer together.

I don't think the raised edges will make any significant difference with heat transfer as they are about 10-15mm away from the outer edges of the 62mm TEC.

Any progress ultra?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:21 pm 

with a performance only 20% better than the 400w TEC that equates to a 480W TEC. Bastids!!! We would be better off with the Taicang 506w TEC assuming it is in fact what they claim it to be and not just theoretical extrapolation. I can't find any performance curves for it anywhere. This really drives home the need for an ultra efficient block (just realized my own pun). What kind of W\C is your new design capable of achieving?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 am 

I'd imagine the thermal resistance of this block will be lower than any of the blocks he's made before. The *c/w losses should be pretty low. The biggest challenge is going to be the performance of the TEC, thermonamics clearly been smoking the good stuff, which is a shame, as if that 669w TEC performed to spec we'd be knocking on the door of a DIY phase chiller for temps. I still think stacked TEC's aiming for 15*c dT per TEC for 30*c total is possible, just maybe not at 12v, otherwise won't be enough Qc to handle the CPU heat load.

The 669w is still the best single TEC, foxrena on OCN confirmed it is better than the 400w CTE by "approximately" (ie a guesstimate as he compared to old data with different setup from memory) 20%, but he also said it is better than the Taicang 506w. So, still the best single 62mm TEC around. But you might need to get adventurous to get what you want out of it, ie stacking or higher voltages.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 am 

Then the 669w one it is. I can't wait to see your new block Ultra. This is going to be so cool!

I'm going to hold off on purchasing another pump until I see what this one can do. As it stand now the pump is set up on a PWM curve and it never runs over 50% on water. Running it higher does not net any additional gain. I would like to run it at 15 volts wide open as that is what my PS can deliver but It's only rated at 13.8 volts. Can you overclock a pump??? Plus if this block is going to be as big and unrestrictive as it looks then I may get away with just the one. If I need 2. Would it be better to hook them up in direct series or should I put one at the exchanger to board inlet and one at the board to exchanger outlet?

I decided to use Dragon Skin rubber as my conformant barrier. When It arrives I will perform some thermal conductivity tests on it to see if neoprene is even necessary. I was thinking of mixing it; and instead of vacuuming out the air; putting in a nitrogen filled blender. Then I can use one of the old TECs and some heatpipe coolers that I have to determine heat transfer through the material. Hey this sounds like fun. I'm going to get it on it's way right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 am 

Double post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 am 

Any progress or ideas of a prospective timetable Ultra?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 pm 

Well it been a month with no word. I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen. Guess I'll start working on plan B.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:07 am 

I'm good for another block if you do a run and need another buyer. I'm curious to see how the thinner plate works out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6