Login  |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

New water block run request

Post subject: Re: New water block run request
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:36 am 

EDIT 2: ok so that was way off, I'd converted the L/s to m3/s wrong, 1.5gpm is 0.000094635m3/s. so I'll run it with that and a 20,684pa pressure on outlet (3psi) does that sound better?

Last edited by LiamG6 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 am 

Hey, I guess the slots at either end wasn't a stupid idea. Yea for me!
The only thing I know about my pump (35x) is that I flow 1 gallon per minute through my system. Is that enough? If so where do I send my deposit 'cause I'm ready to try this bad boy out. :D
John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm 

thick8 you have AMD FX right? does this even have mounting kit for that? can it be made?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 pm 

Yes. My current waterblock (Swiftech Apogee Drive II) has plates that allow the Intel flavor of the block to fit on an AMD CPU. http://www.swiftech.com/APD2-AMD-KIT.aspx So I will just use the adapters that I have. I will be ordering a new pump housing for the pump. I may have to swap out the retention screws if there is a height difference between the two blocks. I'll just measure it and put correct length screws in the spring tensioning portion of the fastener assy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm 

nifty little mounting plate setup, this block is huge though so we'll need to make sure that's compatible. It looks like it may just be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

this is v2
Attachment:
top.JPG
top.JPG [ 48.04 KiB | Viewed 5724 times ]

Attachment:
mid.JPG
mid.JPG [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 5724 times ]

Attachment:
bottom.JPG
bottom.JPG [ 85.29 KiB | Viewed 5724 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

LiamG6 wrote:
Quick question, when you do flow sims, do you use volumetric flow rate on inlet and pressure on outlet?

Just want to know so I can run some proper sims. I used volumetric flow rate for inlet of 0.11m3/s, I wanted to use 0.094m3/s which is 5.67l/m or 1.5gpm. 0.11m3/s translates to ~1.7gpm, so still achievable with our pumps, where I'm lost is the pressure side, it asks for an outlet pressure, I used 31026pascals, which is like 4.5psi, which is approximately what a laing D5 at setting 5 would do. Now is that correct or totally wrong? I'm a bit confused about the PSI, because I got that 4.5psi off a P/Q chart for a D5 at 1.75gpm. Is that PSI on the P/Q chart the actual output pressure of the pump? And would this figure in turn have to be lowered to account for the pressure drop of the block being tested?

EDIT: this is wrong. 1.5gpm is 0.000094635m3/s. I'll try that as inlet volume flow rate with 20684pa outlet pressure (3psi) sound better?

The thing that 99% of people gets wrong when using a program for thermal testing. Is they apply a static pressure or flow to the inlet and call that the pump. This widely wrong and results on most of the crazy designs out there that people clam as awesome.

If you apply a static pressure then you have unlimited flow this favors a un restrictive block.

If you apply a static flow this favors a restrictive block.

When testing on the computer it's incredibly important that you apply a proper pump curve, where as the flow increases pressure decrease and via versa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:41 pm 

oooooo I like that :D looks really good, I like that port to spread the flow, how deep is that? 6mm?

I ran a flow sim on a simple block I did with different slot length and central inlet/outlet. Quick n dirty model. 0.5mm channels and fins. Got a good result. I shortened the slots under the inlet outlet so the water is less likely to flow straight through the centre, then longer ones on the outside edges to reduce restriction there and encourage flow equally over the block, the time taken to flow down the center of block to outlet is shorter but the velocity and volume flow is similar over the whole block. If I want to run that setup I can just modify your top though by tapping a G1/4" right in the center. Haven't dealt with all the challenges of mounting n orings n stuff as it was just something I wanted to see with my own eyes, the sims I ran with your diagonally opposed inlet/outlet were basically the same result so the only reason to change was aesthetics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

LiamG6 wrote:
nifty little mounting plate setup, this block is huge though so we'll need to make sure that's compatible. It looks like it may just be ok.

it is 90mm long by 86mm wide so will fit the 96mm AM3 board even allowing for bolt thicknesses.

Great idea to use an adapter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:45 pm 

I have no idea to add that functionality to flowxpress, do I have to run the full simulation thing and not just flowxpress?

is my setting with 0.000094635m3/s and 20,684pa even close to being realistic? it doesn't seem to include the restriction of the block itself as you say, its just a fixed flow and outlet pressure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next