Login  |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

New water block run request

Post subject: Re: New water block run request
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

That is probably because your not applying a realistic pump flow pressure to your blocks.

i don't know what you mean by this

oooooo I like that :D looks really good, I like that port to spread the flow, how deep is that? 6mm?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:04 pm 

well 0.000094635m3/s is 1.5gpm flow rate, so thats about correct, and 20,684pa is 3psi, a D5 at setting 5 is about 4.5psi, so I reduced the pressure at the outlet to simulate pressure drop. Obviously this is not correct but it can;t be far off, and the velocity of the water seems about right too. I;ve got no idea how to incorporate and actual pump into the sim so it's all I got for now. time for me to study up on solidworks!!

I mean your whole block looks awesome, its good to see it in greater detail. I was refering to that middle piece of Delrin/POM that has the cutout to spread the flow beneath the G1/4" inlet and outlet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

LiamG6 wrote:
I have no idea to add that functionality to flowxpress, do I have to run the full simulation thing and not just flowxpress?

is my setting with 0.000094635m3/s and 20,684pa even close to being realistic? it doesn't seem to include the restriction of the block itself as you say, its just a fixed flow and outlet pressure.

Where are you getting your pump specs from ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 pm 

I got my pump specs from the average of all the tops in this test http://skinneelabs.com/laing-d5-top-comparison/

I have a swiftech MCP655 with an EK top on it, so my pump is actually 5psi at 1.5gpm on setting 5 at 12v. Now as for what gpm the loop would be operating at with that TEC block I'm not sure but 1-1.5gpm is a good range and I usually try to achieve 1.5gpm.

I got the pressure drop from a CPU waterblock comparison, https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/ ... k-preview/ I used a nominal 1.5psi pressure drop. at 1.5gpm the DT 5 NOZ has a pressure drop of about 0.5psi, as it is a straight inlet/outlet with no jetplate and uses slots there is a fair chance the 62mm TEC block will be less restrictive as there are more slots for the fluid to flow through, so I could probably run the simulation again with a 0.000094635m3/s inlet volume flow (1.5gpm) and a 31026pa outlet pressure (4.5psi), that would simulate my swiftech MCP655 at 12v on setting 5 with my EK top outputting 4.75psi and a pressure drop of 0.25psi from the TEC block.

Sound plausible?

EDIT; there is some kind of "nozzle" inside the DT 5 NOZ, hence the "NOZ", so it is quite possible that the restriction/pressure drop from the large 62mm TEC block is quite low.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:25 am 

Ultrasonic2 wrote:
LiamG6 wrote:
nifty little mounting plate setup, this block is huge though so we'll need to make sure that's compatible. It looks like it may just be ok.

it is 90mm long by 86mm wide so will fit the 96mm AM3 board even allowing for bolt thicknesses.

Great idea to use an adapter

So once I verify that it works you can make 1 block to rule them all. You wouldn't even have to supply the adapter. Just link the Swiftech page.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Thick8 wrote:
Ultrasonic2 wrote:
LiamG6 wrote:
nifty little mounting plate setup, this block is huge though so we'll need to make sure that's compatible. It looks like it may just be ok.

it is 90mm long by 86mm wide so will fit the 96mm AM3 board even allowing for bolt thicknesses.

Great idea to use an adapter

So once I verify that it works you can make 1 block to rule them all. You wouldn't even have to supply the adapter. Just link the Swiftech page.

across the mounting brackets it's 94mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Does any one have a problem if i increase the current 90mm side to 94mm. cos this is a obvious way to improve performance. it would allow me to move my end mounting screws further back and allow for more metal at the ends to prevent bowing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

oh yes also the 600 to 800 watts people were trying to stick inot my block how was the made up ?

200 from the CPU and 400 from the TEC ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:07 pm 

Ultrasonic2 wrote:
Does any one have a problem if i increase the current 90mm side to 94mm. cos this is a obvious way to improve performance. it would allow me to move my end mounting screws further back and allow for more metal at the ends to prevent bowing.

Would this prevent it from being mounted on my AMD CPU?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

LiamG6 wrote:
restriction/pressure drop from the large 62mm TEC block is quite low.

yes it is very unrestrictive

just from the top of my head ( not the actual numbers)

Slot Area is 93mm combined . Much MORE than the inlet. Which is why anything that is done to reduce this further can backfire.

This means that the velocity down each slot is quite low.

It will be higher once i remove some of the slots to make the fins stronger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next