Login  |  FAQ

Peltier effect to cool a fluid in a pipe

Post subject: Peltier effect to cool a fluid in a pipe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:09 am 

Hello everyone,

I am a student of Biomedical Engineering in Turin and I'm doing a thesis for the degree. For my project I learned Peltier effect that could help me.
Assuming that I've only read on the internet and in some books of the information on this effect and therefore are not very experienced, I wanted to ask if it is possible to cool a fluid inside a tube.
I have a tube of a given length, diameter and thickness, inside of which flows a fluid at a given temperature. I can with a Peltier device cylindrical cool this fluid? I am attaching the image of my idea.
Let's say that for now I'm interested to know if this thing is possible, but if you must know the geometric characteristics of the tube and the physical properties of the fluid can provide no problems.

Thank you, Emanuel.

Attachments:
File comment: Peltier device
PeltierDevice.jpg
PeltierDevice.jpg [ 32.03 KiB | Viewed 12245 times ]

Post subject: Re: Peltier effect to cool a fluid in a pipe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi

To me i can see you'll have two problems with that design.

1 while you can buy round tec's they dont move the heat from the inside hole to the outer edge. they still move the heat from one flat side to the other. So they would move the heat at 90 degrees to what you'd want it too.

2 if you were able to move the heat to the outer edge you have no heat sinks to transfer this moved heat AND the electricity used to do so into the surrounding air.

What's wrong with the tried and true method ? ( it's missing another heat sink or water block)