Login  |  FAQ

PWM controller

Post subject: PWM controller
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm 

Hello.
I've read in the "Everything you've wanted to know about TEC's" about PWM-ing the TEC. I have a PWM controller from an Asetek VapoChill Micro Extreme air cooler and I was thinking about using it. But Ultrasonic stated that it must be at least 1k switching plus it needs a SSR.
My directly interested curiosity is:
Is my PWM controller good as far as 1K concerns?
Do I still need a SSR? If yes, how can I get one?

Could I find more useful info by looking at the little circuit board?

Post subject: Re: PWM controller
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

mireazma wrote:
Hello.
I've read in the "Everything you've wanted to know about TEC's" about PWM-ing the TEC. I have a PWM controller from an Asetek VapoChill Micro Extreme air cooler and I was thinking about using it. But Ultrasonic stated that it must be at least 1k switching plus it needs a SSR.
My directly interested curiosity is:
Is my PWM controller good as far as 1K concerns?
Do I still need a SSR? If yes, how can I get one?

Could I find more useful info by looking at the little circuit board?

im not sure thats really a PWM controller you'd have to put an osilliscope on to find out.
My tbalancer is said to be a PWM controller which is true however it also has a low pass filter to turn it back into a analogy signal so from the loads point of view it's not a PWM signal at all. You can however Remove a cap from the T-balancer to convert it back to a pure square wave.

It doesn't HAVE to be 1k but higher the better once again the T-balancer says 1k but i put my scope on it and it was only 300hz

Assuming you have a square wave you'd definitely need a mosfet or SSR ( most fets are better ) cos your puny control would catch on fire.

Depending on the load going though the SSR / mosfet it my need to be watercooled

EDIT one more thing you should be a DC SSR not a AC one i got my from Jaycar.co.nz however it's dead now i ran to much current though it without cooling it and it literally melted

Post subject: Re: PWM controller
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm 

Most motor controllers have a low frequency PWM (to reduce audible noises and because motors have inertia), which is completely unacceptable for TECs. I'd suggest trying to find a controller that has a frequency that you can set otherwise you'll never really know. As for SSRs or mosfets, I'd suggest using high current mosfets that are heatsinked at the very least. Mosfets are easier and cheaper to get so those would be probably be easier to deal with...just make sure you get ones with adequate current handling because the higher the switching speed the higher the energy loss and the warmer they will get. If you want to get components like SSRs or mosfets then try places like digikey and mouser or newark.