Login  |  FAQ

New to this forum

Post subject: New to this forum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 am 

Hi, I have been looking for a method of cooling my CPU to Sub-zero and perhaps this is it.
I read throught the intro to TECs and it seems to be within my ability. I currently have an i7 920 that is just about capable of 4.7ghz with the help of my Koolance 1000w Drop in system. I built the PC for Microsoft Flight Simulator X but I am getting the Overclocking Bug. If I understand correctly I need to do the following:
1. identify and purchase the TEC that will deliver on my expectations.
2. Get 2 copper blocks (cold plate and hot plate)
3. Sandwich all of the above between the CPU and the Koolance Waterblock.
4. Insulate to protect from condentation.
5. Identify and purchase a PSU that is suitable for the TEC.

Here are my question:

What kind of temps can I expect. Currently I get Stop: 0x124 BSODS under load but I did notice that when the computer is cold it runs longer under load before the BSOD. As an experiment I left computer in my car for a few hours when it was only 7 degrees above freezing and brought it in and immeditely applied the same load to the CPU and it ran signifiantly longer so I am sure that it is more stable at lower temps. I am hoping for stable at 4.7ghz and perhaps above with the TEC. Is this a reasonable expectation. I an confident the the Vcore and QPI/VTT are as good as they are going to get for 4.7ghz at least with my current cooling.

Also is there a software interface for the PSU that will increase and decrease power to the TEC depending on CPU load?

What can I expect to Spend on the project? and is there a standard list of recommended components to just go an buy and put togeher that will work with a 1000w watercooling system?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New to this forum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Admin

hello there. to be honest it's pretty unrealistic to expect TEC's to keep your CPU at 0 at full load even though in theory they should. There simply isn't enough space to fit enough TEC's on your CPU to achieve that while heavy overclocking in most cases.

That being said you can still achieve stable OC's while using TEC's but being over 0. i know that the temps Massive affect my amds OC and i was able to get significantly more OC with my TEC water chiller.

Either way you look at it a TEC chiller or water block isn't something you can just make at home by sticking a TEC under a normal block, they have to be made to do the job.

I have made many TEC water blocks for people but i never used them myself as they use far to much power for ok results. i've always used TEC chillers so you can have good cooling with out the crazy power draw. I have 2 on my site for sale

You can use a PC's PSU these days thanks to the PCie connectors this assumes your not going crazy though.
Controlling the TEC's has always been a sticking point and im back onto that next week with my 3.2inch touch screen controller but based on previous dealings with people it's unlikely that i'll sell that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am 

Whats the URL for the 2 chillers you have for sale?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

http://thermo-electric-cooling.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 pm 

I see. so the idea here is to add one of these to your existing water cooling loop in place of the Radiator and fan assemble and have another loop with the radiator and Fan assembly connected to another pump and resevoir and the second chiller. the Peltiers then go between the 2 chillers, cold side to the cpu block loop and hot side to the radiator loop?

My CPU is at 80 degrees under load at 4.7ghz and at about 50 idle. The Vcore is 1.6v If I added the setup above with the best 3 TECs available, by how much could I expect these temp to drop. I know its a calculation but just an educated guess would be fine.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

well i would calculate your cpu load at 300 watts so with 3 50mm 330qmax TEC i would think you'd get a hot and cold side delta (water temps) from 14 - 25c for about 250 watts of power used.

i would recommend 6 tec's though then it will definitely work. Really 3 50mm TEC's is the minimum to get the job done and you've got a huge load there.