Login  |  FAQ

Liquid cooling system

Post subject: Liquid cooling system
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm 

Hello, I'm planning to build a small system that can cold down some ammount of beverage for home purpose, since I'll have to build it on my own
I've studied some bit, but got really shalow on technicals details.. so I need help with this, because it's going to be awesome!

So, here's the idea... I'll have a copper container of 30x30x10 cm, holding about 900 ml of water. Inside of the container it will have a copper tube as some sort of serpentine to make liquid get trough. So the water inside the container has the purpose to get cold enough so the liquid inside the serpentine can get cold as well. Is it clear as I explained?
My initial idea is that in the back of the copper container I'll place a few Peltier pieces spreaded along, making the surface cold, so the water inside gets cold too and consequently the liquid inside the serpentine.

Is it a plausible idea? Any thoughts on improving it?
I have no idea of wich Peltier to use, keeping in mind that the cold temperature should be as stable as possible, about -2ยบ celcius.

Apreciate the help! Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Simple drawing of initial idea!
draft.jpg
draft.jpg [ 438.38 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

Post subject: Re: Liquid cooling system
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 am 

While it's possible, I don't see any cooling on the hotsides of the TEC. How well you cool the hotside is basically going to determine everything. Since the delta is based on the THot temperature the cooling solution you use for the TEC is really going to determine the effectiveness. Also if you just have the cool side of the TEC attached to a flat metal container it won't work very well because you have a relatively small amount of surface area in contact with the TEC. I'd say a little bit more research into the thermal mechanics of doing something like this is neccesary...especially if you are planning on using it to convert a fluid from gas to liquid phase.