Login  |  FAQ

Heatsink a little smaller than peltier. How to address?

Post subject: Heatsink a little smaller than peltier. How to address?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:58 am 

Hi, I'm trying to set up a Peltier 12706 cooler in a DIY project and it's just a few mm too small for the Arctic 64 heatsink I have:

Attachment:
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 7340 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 7340 times ]

This is all craigslist-sourced stuff for a hobby project, so I want to try to finagle this heat sink and not buy anything additional.

Will I destroy the peltier device if the edges are sticking out without direct contact to the sink? If so, what's the best way to address this? I was looking into copper shims, but people are saying this may greatly decrease the efficiency of the heat transfer. Interested to hear what ideas people have. Thanks!

Ismail

Post subject: Re: Heatsink a little smaller than peltier. How to address?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:24 pm 

Ideally you want the entire surface covered. If you cannot cover it with the heatsink then the suggestion would be to cover it with a small aluminum plate. Since inside the TEC is a bunch of thermcouples (127 in your case) and each couple is small. The ceramic plates don't really act much as heatspreaders, but more as structural components. I would recommend that you try and cover the peltier entirely or its life may potentially be significantly reduced. If your project has a short intended life then you may be able to get away with it. Anyways the choice is yours, but for reliability whatever side is producing heat should be covered entirely by a metal plate, heatsink, or waterblock.