Login |  Register |  FAQ

Powering LED lights using peltiers.

Post subject: Powering LED lights using peltiers.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 am 

Hello,

I am currently doing some R&D regarding peltiers and trying to see if they would operate LEDs lights etc to indicate if a surface is up to temperature.
I require anywhere from 3-6V output to power the lights. The samples I currently have only seem to get up to the required voltage after they reach 100”C. The surface of the product I am working with only reaches 80”C. I was wondering if you can tell me if it is possible to get a peltier to operate at the lower temperature of 70-80’C and have an output of 2-3V? I can always use 2 units to to reach 4-6V to power the lights. How efficient are they? I have made a prototype an it works on a hot 100'C surface but doesn't work on the surface I want it to. This is probably down to temperature but I'm also worried that the alloy heat sink isn't cooling enough. It is in a small space with no cooling air. Would it require a fan to keep it cool?

Thank you.

I'm not that technical regarding these.

Univ..

Post subject: Re: Powering LED lights using peltiers.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm 

Do you need the peltier to provide power to the LED? Or do you have a secondary power source you could use?

If so it would be cheaper to use a temperature switch than a peltier. But that said, you can lookup TEG, or thermoelectric generator which uses the seeback effect. They should be more efficient at generating electricity. Not efficient mind you, just more so than a TEC. You would probably need 2 or even 3 to generate 4-6v. At $30-50ea it would be more cost effective to purchase a small dc adapter and a thermal switch like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Celsius-Normal-Temperature-Switch-Thermostat/dp/B008X0YCP8/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1436241803&sr=1-3&keywords=Bimetal+Thermostat+Temperature+Switch+80C