Login |  Register |  FAQ

Some help & advice please

Post subject: Some help & advice please
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:29 am 

Hello there guys, really sorry to bother you all but i have been searching for an answer to this question all over the internet and i can not find it, If i am trying to chill/cool a metal object that has no active heat load (just a chunk of aluminium) does a higher amp of peltier reach colder temperatures? all i really need to know is what makes a peltier get as cold as it can. voltage ? amps ? or can a 12v 6amp get just as cold as a 12v 8amp ? thanks so much

Post subject: Re: Some help & advice please
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

The voltage / amps controls the delta. If you're cooling an object that is not producing any heat then there would be little advantage in using a 600Qmax tec over a 10QMax one. This assumes that the object is in a vacuum and therefore is not gaining heat from it's environment (which in reality it would)

One advantage to having a high Qmax over a low Qmax one would be the time it takes to reach your desired temperature would be less with a more powerful TEC.

Overly simplified, but a 10Qmac tec at 12v will be the same temperature as a 600Qmax one at 12v

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 pm 

Thanks a lot, so I'd find no real advantage over a tec1-12706 over a tec1-12708 in terms of temperature but would in speed of reaching said temperature, also would a 50mm tec give me an advantage over a 40mm and if so what advantage? Sorry I'm new to this, thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

other than being more powerful it would be easier to cool, thus leading to better temps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:00 am 

Ultrasonic2 wrote:
other than being more powerful it would be easier to cool, thus leading to better temps

Thanks, you have been most helpful, I do have one more question to rack your brain with.

If I am water cooling the hotside of my peltier with a 120mm fan and rad, is it feasible to control the temperature
of the cold side by adjusting the fan speed on the radiator, slower speed = hotter hot side temp and as such raising the temp of the cold side also ? and vice verca speed up the fan to cool the hotside better and drop temp on the cold side.

I have looked at many of the tec controllers like this one

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... view1&rb=1

but it confuses me very much. I'd like to be able to adjust the temperature of the cold side between the range of 1degree celcius up to around 10degrees.

any help again is much appreciated.

thanks,

ryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Yes you could adjust the fan speed to adjust hotside temp and thus cold side temp . however this approach would be very delayed and the load your trying to cool would need to be constant.

Obviously doing this will also cost lots of power. Aslo depending on your cold side temps you may damage the TEC by allowing it to get to hot.