Login |  Register |  FAQ

Looking for a CPU waterblock

Post subject: Looking for a CPU waterblock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:30 pm 

Hi,
I've been playing with TECs for years. As a Lincoln mechanic I had to change out several TEC seat modules under warranty. I played with them. hooked them up to batteries and meters. Burned out several of them.
It wasn't until recently that I have a computer cooling system that can handle a TEC. Now that I do I can't seem to find a water block. Needless to say I am quite bummed. I'm looking for a block that will fit a FX-8350 and 2 50mm TECs. (the 331w ones). I've been posting questions at the overclock forum and have a handle on what I need http://www.overclock.net/t/1576479/been ... -some-time
Here's a link to my system build. It's a little over the top but I had to know if it would work.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... geothermal
If anyone can help me find the block I need I would truly appreciate it.
Thank you.
John

Post subject: Re: Looking for a CPU waterblock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

hello i used to make 50x2 water blocks

http://thermo-electric-cooling.com/inde ... d2gdge9se1

But i stopped for various reasons.
1) AMD pulled so much more power that then had to be cooled it made TECing hardly worth it.
2) For the cost of the block and TEC's it was FAR cheaper to simply buy a much better i7 rig.

People buy AMD for budget reasons which is not the same person who will spend the crazy money to TEC cool it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:13 pm 

I remember following your posts when you were doing all the thermal load graphics years ago. It was very cool. That's how long I've wanted to try a TEC.
Doing the math (with your calculator) I could reach near 0c with the CPU at 200w load and 15 volts supplied to the TEC. I have a 15v/40a switching PS. I'm not sure how much heat this CPU will generate at 5.2-5.5Ghz with 1.55-1.65 volts. Hell, it may burst into flames for all I know but I think 200 watts is a reasonable jumping off point.
I noticed that you have 62mm Intel blocks listed on your sale page. Are they still available? My Swiftech Apogee Drive II has brackets that adapt the Intel mount to a AMD mount. I could use them to mount your block to my CPU (maybe). And is the price negotiable :roll:
Thanks for your reply.
John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm 

I've been talking to LiamG6 and Elloquin over at overclock. Had half the thread deleted when we started talking about your blocks. To the point though, we all want one of your blocks. LiamG6 said you were making some changes/updates to the blocks and that they would like some things done as well. Are the fitting holes G1/4?
Liam said you do runs of 4. will you do a run with three confirmed takers? I'm willing to pay a deposit.
Thanks.
John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thick8 wrote:
I've been talking to LiamG6 and Elloquin over at overclock. Had half the thread deleted when we started talking about your blocks. To the point though, we all want one of your blocks. LiamG6 said you were making some changes/updates to the blocks and that they would like some things done as well. Are the fitting holes G1/4?
Liam said you do runs of 4. will you do a run with three confirmed takers? I'm willing to pay a deposit.
Thanks.
John

OCN are dicks and i'll never understand what there problem is. I'm one of the few people trying to keep TECing going. They do not delete peoples posts about every other products that's posted. At the end of the day since i spent a huge amount of time helping people the ban is no loss to me.

To be honest with the reduction in CPU power consumption i would have expected TECing to have made a come back but unfortunately that has not been the case.

I's really not worth the time or effort for the random sale.

I did have plans for an improvement on my last block but decided just to packet it in.

Since then Liam has changed his mind and suggested he could get the numbers together to do a run of 4 which is the minimum. im not against this idea however i'd need some real commitment before hand from the 3 of you.

Liam mentioned he'd like some customization but with no further detail. To be honest i almost certainly wouldn't go for that as it will increase the work load and it would most likely result in worse performance due to increased warping. I'm still more than happy to discuss any suggestions to the block. I would suggest the 3 of you create a new thread HERE to discuss.

yes they are g/14 tapped.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:34 pm 

I can understand your anger. I had a similar experience with a flight sim forum several years ago. One of the forum moderators and I had a difference of opinion and he had the veto power. Such is life sometimes.
I'll get with the other guys and have them come over here to discuss this.
I've ordered a TEHC1-19940 module. Not sure of the shipping time as I have not yet receive conformation.
You being the manufacturer and having run the tests of your blocks I will be happy with what you think is best as far as the block design is concerned. I will be putting about 600w to it at full load. Do you see any issues with the block being able to dissipate that kind of heat?
I've been considering changing my geothermal system to an open loop so that I can maintain a 19.7c water temperature all all times. Right now the water temp will creep up to 26-27c after an hour of Furmark and P95 running at the same time. I'm not sure how much the extra 300w of the TEC will effect that but I'm game to find out before I put any effort into redoing the system.
Going to go PM the guys now.
Thanks again for all you do for the community.
John