Login  |  FAQ

Hybrid Water/TEC Block

Post subject: Hybrid Water/TEC Block
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Ok this im my new Hybrid Water block

The concept behind this is part of the CPU’s load is cooled by TEC and part by the water block. This system has many advantages over just a normal water block and over an entirely TEC cooled Block

First off the TEC is not required to cool the entire Heat load from the CPU thus meaning you have a relatively low Qmax TEC requirement in comparison to a block which requires all of the cpu’s load to pass though it. And therefore power requirements are quite low.

At light to normal CPU loads the TEC can be turned completely turned off resulting in zero power usage. It could then be turned on manually or via a thermal switch

Condensation issues are greatly reduced because the water block is preventing the entire block from going sub dew point. This means that you should only have to insulate the block its self and not the motherboard

The block is intended to be cooled with a single loop, from the water block then to the hotside of the TEC

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 50.86 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 38.82 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 58.26 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 41.61 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 58.99 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 45.33 KiB | Viewed 22574 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hybrid Water/TEC Block
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:52 pm 

hey,

i have actualy recently been thinking about this same thing... i would like (if posible) to make my build a full TEC build, but with a water option so that im not always pulling crazy wattage... i was wondering how the flow of the block would go, and how would this efficiently cool on either TEC or WC... it seems that by having them side by side the performance of both would suffer... i though of a desing like this:

the blue is cold, red hot, and the green is something like an O-ring or rubber strip so that the two copper sides aren't in direct contact (so they dont just swap the heat out evenly)... the hot water goes to RAD and the cool comes from res... this way when just on WC, you would get full performance of the block, because it is a full block with full contact... also, i would think that you would get slightly reduced TEC performance (but i think it would only be minor) because of the non-solid contact and the water in between... but this should also increase the cooling on the hot side of the TEC because the water would now be chilled... what do you think of this idea? i understand that you would like to keep it sub due point, but would this be a viable option if you dont mind insulating the board?

EDIT: im horrible at anything other than simple things on most CAD softwares and i dont have the time right now to make this in MAYA (takes me forever :() so this is the only drawing i have as of now (i will try in sketch up at some point this week)

EDIT2: was this block designed for AMD? just a curious question as i tend to go intel and like the concept :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

eskamobob1 wrote:
hey,

i have actualy recently been thinking about this same thing... i would like (if posible) to make my build a full TEC build, but with a water option so that im not always pulling crazy wattage... i was wondering how the flow of the block would go, and how would this efficiently cool on either TEC or WC... it seems that by having them side by side the performance of both would suffer... i though of a desing like this:

the blue is cold, red hot, and the green is something like an O-ring or rubber strip so that the two copper sides aren't in direct contact (so they dont just swap the heat out evenly)... the hot water goes to RAD and the cool comes from res... this way when just on WC, you would get full performance of the block, because it is a full block with full contact... also, i would think that you would get slightly reduced TEC performance (but i think it would only be minor) because of the non-solid contact and the water in between... but this should also increase the cooling on the hot side of the TEC because the water would now be chilled... what do you think of this idea? i understand that you would like to keep it sub due point, but would this be a viable option if you dont mind insulating the board?

EDIT: im horrible at anything other than simple things on most CAD softwares and i dont have the time right now to make this in MAYA (takes me forever :() so this is the only drawing i have as of now (i will try in sketch up at some point this week)

EDIT2: was this block designed for AMD? just a curious question as i tend to go intel and like the concept :)

Hi there yes this was designed for amd . AMD it a much simpler design process than intels due to high restrictions of Intel sockets.

I will explain my design a bit more

shows a slot in the base this pretty much cuts the block in ½ so ½ the Cpu is cooled by the water block (normal W/C ) and the other ½ by the TEC. That’s the basic premise of this block

Based on the pic you provided and your explanation I could not see any possible benefit of the TEC in your design but that might be because of the simplistic drawing more than anything else.

If you had 2 complete separate water cooling loops ( water never comes together ) both with radiators cooling each part separately then I could see a benefit of the TEC. Basically the TEC would become a water chiller for added cooling when needed
Attachment:
TEC & WC block.jpg
TEC & WC block.jpg [ 27.54 KiB | Viewed 21903 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 am 

i am sorry... iy probably is my simplistic drawing... i was thinking of having the water flow through the bottom section via channels (most likely made by a drill tap for increased surface area)... this should gove good enough suface area for regular WC, and still be a solid enough piece of copper to efectively use the TEC when turned on... the posibility was also proposed to have 2 inputs (one that flows through the whole block, and one that just passes over the TEC)... the flow would be controled by a switch that will push the majority of water one direction (still with enough flow to not freeze the water in the bottom part of the block when the TEC is on)... i hope this is a better explination (i will try later this week to get a basic rendering)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Admin

that idea was posted on overclock.net

I think we should start from the beginning. What are you trying to achieve with the TEC ? ie one loop only , small, low power usage, low cost or is there no point at all and where just theorising (like my hybrid block)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am 

Ultrasonic2 wrote:
that idea was posted on overclock.net

I think we should start from the beginning. What are you trying to achieve with the TEC ? ie one loop only , small, low power usage, low cost or is there no point at all and where just theorising (like my hybrid block)?

lol... yah... i posted there, and then found this forum so i figured why not :p... the point of this is to be able to bench with extreme cooling, without replacing the block or always having the TEC on (as, im sure you know, that gets expensive with good TECs)... i also dont want to have to deal with insulating tubes and such for chilled water... if i can get it to work out, then i very well may build one, but as of now it is mostly theorizing... i dont mind multiple loops at all, but i dont see a way to do this without chilling the water

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

when you say extreme cooling what do you mean at best the blocks your proposing would get the WATER temps to ambient but the reality is it wouldn’t probably achieve that at full load on an i7 as the i7’s load would be to great

if it was me I’d build a high TEC count chiller cos they actually work and when controlled can be pretty cheap to have on all the time

however you could have a rad in the cold side loop and have the tec’s off most of the time and have them come on once the water temps get over a certain level.

Condensation and insulation wouldn’t be a problem as it will be controlled to be above that point in both cases