Login  |  FAQ

Legit Thermo Electric Cooler Project

Post subject: Re: Legit Thermo Electric Cooler Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello

Well assuming a perfect seal and no loss to the outside environment ( not realistic ) But lets assume.. Then the difference between a 500Watt Qmax and a 50Watt Qmax TEC will be the time it takes to cool the the internal space.

You haven't mentioned the important parts to a TEC cooling solution and that's how your going to cool both sides of the TEC.

Also using a TEC to cool / freeze things is not a new idea but unfortunately its not cost efficient when needing to cool a large wattage load. (500 watts would be coincided large) to a very low temperature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 am 
Site Admin

i had a TEC cooled / Heated can thing... The problem being is the can is designed in such a way as to prevent as much thermal loss to the surface as possible and thus trying to cool or heat it via this method hardly works.

Is it still an enclosed space ? cos yeah this will be better cos you will get some direct transfer to the cans which you wouldn't have if the TEC was in the lid.. And making the Lid very heavy at that j

FYI you probably should be posting this on the FB page where more people are involved

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

like i said before the only difference between a 240watt TEC or 120watt TEC will be the time it takes to cool the environment.. 240watt TEC will obviously take 1/2 the time BUT pull twice the amps... Based on your battery you have you can only pull 144watts for an hour and the battery will be flat. ( 144 watts for an hour )

But back to the question id get two TEC's and wire them in series(6v each) which will greatly increase the COP (efficiency) than running them in parallel.
If this is meant to be mobile id bin the lead battery because it weights to much and buy lithium ion pouch batteries ( NOT cells like 18650) and obviously take alot more wattage so it can run longer

IS this cooler meant to be mobile ? to take to the beach or something ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Admin

i think you should buy one of those batteries and test it .. it wreaks of being fake... Also though i couldn't find that particular version of that battery the ones i could find they do not have BMS which means they are bombs.. They will will be fine from that respect for testing though.

We can work out the max tec wattage "used" based on the battery and how long you want it to run for... so how long do you want it to run constantly for ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:47 am 
Site Admin

sounds good